Spacecraft Telemetry: Published standards
The Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS) publishes recommended standards (Blue Books) for spacecraft telemetry. The standards define protocols, procedures and data structures, including the TM Transfer Frame. The standards have been adopted by many space agencies.
The current CCSDS documents can be downloaded from their website at http://public.ccsds.org/. The CCSDS site also provides a link to the registry of the Space Assigned Numbers Authority. The ECSS website is at www.ecss.nl.
Note: The telemetry standards define the TM Space Data Link Protocol for handling Version-1 Transfer Frames, which are generally used on the downlink from a spacecraft. The AOS standards define the AOS Space Data Link Protocol for handling Version-2 Transfer Frames, which are typically used on high speed downlinks and can also be used on the uplink.
CCSDS recommended standards
- TM Space Data Link Protocol, CCSDS 132.0-B-2, September 2015
- TM Synchronization and Channel Coding, CCSDS 131.0-B-3, September 2017
plus related standards:
- Space Packet Protocol, CCSDS 133.0-B-1, September 2003 (with Technical Corrigendum 1 and 2, September 2010 and 2012)
- Encapsulation Service, CCSDS 133.1-B-2, October 2009 (with Technical Corrigendum 1 and 2, September 2012 and April 2014)
- Space Assigned Numbers Authority (SANA) (replaces CCSDS 135.0-B)
CCSDS original recommendations
The CCSDS original recommendations for packet telemetry are now obsolete (silver status):
- Telemetry Channel Coding, CCSDS 101.0-B-6-S, October 2002
- Packet Telemetry, CCSDS 102.0-B-5-S, November 2000
- Packet Telemetry Services, CCSDS 103.0-B-2-S, June 2001
The original recommendations have some differences, for example in presentation and technical terms, but the major technical content is similar to the current standards.
ESA Standards and ECSS
The standards of the European Cooperation for Space Standardization (ECSS) and the European Space Agency (ESA) are based on the CCSDS standards.
I B + M A de Lande Long Software + Consultancy provided support for the development of telemetry standards for ECSS:
- Space data links - Telemetry synchronization and channel coding, ECSS-E-ST-50-01C, 31 July 2008
- Space data links - Telemetry transfer frame protocol, ECSS-E-ST-50-03C, 31 July 2008
The ECSS standards replace the earlier ESA standards:
- ESA Telemetry Channel Coding Standard, ESA-PSS-04-103, Issue 1, September 1989
- ESA Packet Telemetry Standard, ESA-PSS-04-106, Issue 1, January 1988
CCSDS informational reports
CCSDS publishes informational reports (Green Books) which provide additional information and explanation. The Green Books relevant to telemetry include:
- Overview of Space Communications Protocols, Green Book, CCSDS 130.0-G-3, July 2014
- Space Data Link Protocols - Summary of Concept and Rationale, Green Book, CCSDS 130.2-G-3, September 2015
- TM Synchronization and Channel Coding - Summary of Concept and Rationale, Green Book, CCSDS 130.1-G-2, November 2012