Background experience in spacecraft protocols
We have long, in-depth experience of the development, testing and review processes for the international standards and recommendations for spacecraft protocols for CCSDS (Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems), ESA and ECSS (European Cooperation for Space Standardization).
CCSDS and ESA standards from 1986
For many years we have contributed to the updates and reviews of CCSDS recommended standards for space telemetry and telecommand data links and protocols.
We were involved in the development of the CCSDS and ESA telecommand standards from 1986, beginning with a study for ESA of the COP-1 automatic retransmission protocol in the Transfer Layer. The study included:
- production of a rigorous and unambiguous Formal Description of COP-1
- development of a detailed simulator to check its operation
Space Data Link Security (SDLS) protocol, 2012-2014
We provided support during the changes to the CCSDS recommended standards for the TC, TM and AOS Space Data Link Protocols for the addition of the interfaces to the Space Data Link Security protocol (SDLS).
ECSS Standards for Telemetry and Telecommand Space Data Links, 2002-2008
From 2002 we provided support for the development of ECSS telemetry and telecommand standards, and the related handbook, in the E-50 Space Engineering - Communications discipline:
- ECSS-E-ST-50-01C - Space data links - Telemetry synchronization and channel coding
- ECSS-E-ST-50-03C - Space data links - Telemetry transfer frame protocol
- ECSS-E-ST-50-04C - Space data links - Telecommand protocols, synchronization and channel coding
- ECSS-E-HB-50A - Communications guidelines
COP-1 review in 2001
In 2001, we performed a validation study for ESA of changes to COP-1, the Transfer Layer protocol of Packet Telecommand. The revised version is called COP-1B. The validation included:
- tests to check the behaviour of the complete COP-1B State Tables
- tests to check the changes
CFDP review in 2000
We performed a study for ESA in 2000 to review the new CCSDS File Delivery Protocol (CFDP). As part of the study we simulated the operation of CFDP over Packet Telecommand and Telemetry links.